Monday 24 February 2014

Cooking for a full house

As every weekend approaches I am always faced with the same question. What will I be feeding my friends and family? This task usually includes the lunch I will be bringing to the ski hill on Saturday. Skiing is so much more to me then going down a hill, it's the whole lifestyle that comes with it. I am going to share my favourite and easy lunch recipes with you from one of my favourite blogs Two Peas & Their Pod. I love making their Slow-Cooker Turkey Chili It is easy to prepare and all I need to is bring my crock pot with me and plug it in. When you are out on the hill skiing and breaking a sweat you don't want to come to a lunch of fats and sugars. My goal every week is to make a healthy and enjoyable lunch, and this recipe always is a big success. 
 
There is nothing more satisfying then getting off the hill on a cold day and enjoying a nice big warm bowl of chili. This recipe is easy follow, and the ingredients are easy to come by. In most ski towns the grocery stores are small and don't always have  specialty  items. This recipe has simple and healthy ingredients. I love this chili because its light on the spice so everyone can add more to their individual taste if they like (if I remember to pack extra). 

When making this recipe at home, I love to serve it over brow basmati rice or quinoa.(check out my friends quinoa blog, its sure to inspire you) This makes for a hearty meal that is sure to satisfy all your hungry skiers.

I hope you are inspired to get outside today, try an activity and enjoy a healthy lunch. 
-Joanna

7 comments:

  1. Mmmmm this recipe looks delicious! I'm sure after being active in the cold and having something warm to eat afterwards is absolutely satisfying. Also, crock pots are an amazing thing invited for cooking! I think this recipe would just be perfect on a cold day. Thanks Joanna for sharing this! I will definitely try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm this chill looks outrageous! I love substituting ground turkey for ground beef and in a chill you really can't tell the difference. I may have to try this one night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna! I was reading your posts and was instantly drawn to this one. That turkey chilli looks amazing.
    I wish I was a skier. The lifestyle seems like a ton of fun and super laidback! Feel free to bring me with you...I'll hangout in the sky town and the hot tub ;)

    Keep it up gal!

    ps; thank you for the kind mention. that was an awesome and lovely surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanna, this looks absolutely amazing! You do a great job in describing how delicious the "slow-cooker turkey chilli" tastes and how much of a success it is with your family and friends. I am a huge fan of chilli and always tie the cold winter weather with a nice warm bowl of chilli. I'll be sure to stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy that looks fantastic Joanna!
    I've never gone skiing before, but my girlfriend and I definitely want to try.
    I agree with you that after a cold day out knowing something nice warm and hardy is waiting for you is fantastic.
    I'm going to have to try making that up :D
    Also off topic what would you recommend for a rookie looking into getting into skiing? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shane, I love that you and your girlfriend want to give skiing a try. A few recommendations would be to find where you want to ski first. I ski a Holiday Valley, which is only 1 1/2 from me, but is in the US so make sure you have a passport. There are other great ski areas in Ontario such as Blue Mountain. Once you have selected your destination check out their packages, many offer rentals, lesson, and ski ticket at one price. Lessons are key, they will teach you the basics and give you the confidence you need out on the slopes. Skiing is not the most difficult sport to learn, but it can take a lifetime to master.
      Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to help!!
      -Joanna

      Delete
  6. 2 amazing things all in one - skiing and chili - Great post Joanna! I love turkey chili! Especially on a cold winter day - and after skiing! Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe - I will be giving it a try soon! (Lexa)

    ReplyDelete