Monday 10 February 2014

2014 Olympic Mania


Olympic mania has begun.  The 2014 games have begun in Sochi Russia and I Olympic mania has begun. The 2014 games have begun in Sochi Russia and I couldn’t be more excited. Again life gets in the way of me being able to camp out at home and watch the winter Olympic games. I could spend weeks talking about the Olympics, but I don’t want to get sidetracked from my main event and Canada’s Gold medal event, Freestyle skiing mogul competition. 
Freestyle skiing has been in the Olympics since 1992.  It once included moguls, aerials, and ballet. In 1994 ballet skiing was dropped from the Olympic games and moguls and aerials remained an olympic sport. 

 Canada's freestyle team was said to be the team to beat, and the critics were right.The Canadians placed first and second in both the men and women freestyle mogul event.  The women’s event was first and Canada had two sisters on the podium. Justine Dufour-Lapointe placed first and her sister Chloe Dufour-Lapointe came in right behind her in second.  Over in the men’s mogul event Alex Bilodeau defended his gold medal with fellow Canadian Mikael Kingsbury close behind in second.
I grew up in the moguls and have such a respect for these athletes.  The training they endure is not only intense but can also be very dangerous. Mogul skiing can also take a great toll on your body and these athletes have pushed through the pain to represent Canada in the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. I couldn't be more proud to be a Canadian and a mogul skier. 












Let the games continue. 
GO CANADA GO
-Joanna

5 comments:

  1. GO CANADA GO! I am with you on wanting to sit in front of the tv and watch it all! I was watching when Alex Bilodeau won again! I started to tear up when he pointed to his brother in the crowd and then when they hugged. Such an inspirational story they have. Let's just hope Canada men's hockey repeats too! *Fingers Crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have honestly caught Olympic fever and I think a large part is because of the great success within the skiing events, specifically the moguls. Watching those 2 sisters win medals for the same event was honestly one of the most memorable Olympic moments. Great post this week Joanna, so glad you highlighted the Olympics in this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy and excited that you feature the Olympics on your blog. I think that the Olympics not only bring together the country but all the countries that are competing.
    Also the moguls are one of my favourite things to watch. It just amazes me at what these athletes can do and the fact that you participated in this sport is amazing. So I will take your word on how hard the sport is and the impact it has on your body.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Vancouver games were the first Olympics I actually remember wanting to watch. Just felt more special knowing it was home turf. Didn't feel the same this year, though I'm still glad we ended up crushing in hockey.

    When you make the Olympic skiing team though, I'll be the first to tune in.

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great reading this blog post because it brought back the memories from the Olympic Games just a few weeks ago. The performances by our men and women skiers was unbelievable once again. The stories involving these athletes were great from the trio of moguls sisters to Bilodeau and his Gold medal repeat being cheered on by his awesome brother in the crowd.

    The skiing events were some of my favourites to watch because there was so much variety from the moguls to the downhill (which looked absolutely insane!) to the ski cross and ski jump. It was all spectacular.

    Keep up the good work Joanna.

    ReplyDelete