Tuesday 4 March 2014

Skiing Withdrawl

Photo from Holiday Valley*
As I return from my reading week vacation in Florida I am left with that feeling that something is missing. Getting of the plane was not only shockingly frigid cold, but it also left me feeling at home. I love the sun, sand, and warm air but nothing beats a cold snowy day where you can hear the crunch of the snow beneath your boots.  This week I thought I'd share some insight into snow, and snowmaking. 
HolidayValley is setting the bar across the eastern ski resorts by investing $10 million in their snow making system.  This snowmaking system is an air/water system that consists of 475 tower guns, 50 ground guns, and 560 hydrants.
So what makes ideal snow making conditions? “According to Steve Crowley, Director of Mountain Operations and former head of Snowmaking, it is 18 degrees wet bulb with about a 10 to 15 mile per hour wind from the west and frozen ground.”* 
Photo from Holiday Valley*
For those of you not in the snowmaking business wet bulb temperature is the measurement of surrounding temperature that includes the cooling effect the humidity in the air allows for. The amount of water in the air affects the degree of evaporation. Dryer air leads to more cooling.

Holiday Valley is continuing to practice sustainable initiatives and this includes their snow making capabilities.  They take the water from their 64 million gallon Spruce Lake as well as their various ponds on their golf course. They also installed in 2013 put in HKD energy saving Tower Impulse guns that allow them to adjust for the weather. 

Now that my tan is starting to fade, I am excited to get back on the slopes this weekend and enjoy the last month of skiing. If you can make it out to your local ski hill don’t forget to consider the snow your skiing on.

Bundle up,
Joanna

Check out the video below of the Holiday Valley Snowmakers hard at work on a cold night.

*cited





    6 comments:

    1. So this is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing how the snow is made, I am not an avid skier but I've always wondered about the process for making snow. Great post!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I've been to holiday valley...beautiful resort.
      enjoy the snow while it lasts, which in this case may be till July! lol

      ReplyDelete
    3. At this point in the winter season, I do have some hard feelings towards snow. However, after reading some of your posts I think skiiing or snowboarding may be a way to rekindle my relationship with the season. Holiday Valley definitely sounds like a place to go, thanks for the motivation!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I heard that ski resorts can make snow, but never knew how. Thanks for sharing that information Joanna! Also, I hope you enjoy getting back on the slopes, and from what I heard it seems like you got a fun weekend coming up, enjoy!!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Hey I was just there a couple of weeks ago! Conditions were pretty bad, I was skiing basically on just ice, which I hate but I'm hoping to go again soon. So jealous you get to go so often, I wish I could! Like you, I love snow and can't get enough of it, I think I'm the only Colombian who dares to say that. It's awesome you're promoting ski resorts nearby, great post Joanna!

      ReplyDelete
    6. I knew ski resorts made their own snow but I never knew how they made it. I really enjoyed reading your post about the process. I've never actually been to Holiday Valley but I have been to Kissing bridge before and I loved it there. Although, I must admit, Skiing is not my forte..I mostly end up falling and getting a face full of snow, haha. Great post, though!

      ReplyDelete